Homeward Bound

Last week was spent mostly wrapped up in plans to visit home sweet home, where my high school friends and grandmother still live. Luckily it’s only about 3 hours away, but I still don’t manage to get there as often as I’d like. I had to make a lot of sacrifices to get the homework and packing done, but it was worth it!

Last week at the hospital I started in PACU. As I suspected, it has been my favorite rotation of the externship, perhaps tied with PreOp, because starting IVs is such an important skill.

The atmosphere up in PACU is so nurturing, but also thrilling because there is always the possibility for patients to be in critical condition. I got to see a whole spectrum of techniques, skills, and patient situations. Everything from combative/argumentative people to those who are barely breathing and come in with an artificial airway.

The best part by far has been the nurses I’ve worked with and how willing they were to teach me, explain their rationales, and push me to think critically about patient care decisions. I have really felt like a member of the team and I will miss working alongside such kind and talented individuals.

One of my most interesting experiences was accidentally getting to follow a CRNA after I somewhat rudely questioned one of her med orders. I thought I was in hot water for my impertinence, but she took it as an opportunity to educate me and I graciously accepted. I really got a good understanding of general anesthesia, how patients are monitored, and why they wake up like they do.

Went for some runs during the week. Wednesday we took my new kayak out for a spin. It was such a beautiful night! Thursday after my run I got my big homework assignment done while James logged some time with his new game.

And Friday, after a lovely day in the Endoscopy ER, I hopped in the car and made a b-line westward! Got there in time for some hanging out and party prep before bed.

Next morning I woke up rather lazily for a 6-mile run, then helped Teddy put the finishing touches on her baby shower prep.




There was a lot to do, but several people stopped by to help including her mom and a few of her other friends. I did get her to pose for a quick pic before the main event!


Then I spent the evening with my grandmother, who can only handle visitors in short increments. I used to spend whole weekends including overnights just with her, but things are a little different now. Still, she was happy to see me and it was very nice to catch up with her. We had a nice meal at the dining hall then spent the evening talking and playing games.

Sunday I got up QUITE early and went for 9 mile run through the historic part of town by the river. Then Teddy and I went big for brunch at Cracker Barrel. And after a bit of shopping, I headed back home to my anxiously awaiting boyfriend.




Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: